Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Once a magnificent church, now a center for cultural events


One of the old buildings in town used to be a church and they have saved it by using it as an active cultural center for many different kinds of entertainment and social functions. One of the many windows that they have saved and restored to its original state is this one that I think is beautiful. I sometimes wonder what I might have become spiritually had our church had such awesome windows when I was very young and impressible. Remember those bare, empty walls of Shiloh Baptist Church? No wonder I starved to see those little Sunday School lessons that had such beautiful Bible pictures and that I still have today, over 60 years later! And my church actually taught that the Catholics were ungodly for having idols and symbols like in this old church. O, how the Devil must love the Baptists!


A picture (from the internet) of the church building, Sacred Heart Cultural Center as it is called today. It had a sister church building in Galveston, Texas almost identical but was completely destroyed in the 1900 hurricane that killed some of our relatives, our grandfather's brother Nola White, wife, and daughter and her family. Remember Arthur White? He went looking for their bodies for days on the waters in a boat and found them one by one.


A picture of the inside.








An internet picture of the Augusta Choral Society group. Notice the chairs. The Devil is not too pleased with those comfortable looking cushioned seats. O mine, are those backs slanted for better fit? O please, bring me a glass of water to revive me!

No comments: