Friday, December 1, 2006

Downtown Thursday Nov 30, 2006

The old Woolworth Building long closed. Linda shopped here many times when she was a girl staying with her aunt and grandmother.











There are still old buildings and businesses closed down along Broad Street. This is obviously an old theater.








Another shot of the Lamar Building with a Christmas wreath displayed near the top. This wreath can be seen better from a distance away. Will get a shot of it later.
This is a picture on the side of a City of Augusta firetruck.
The Augusta Chamber of Commerce is smack in the middle of the street!
A window of a stained glass store.
With my new hearing aid I kept hearing the train constantly blowing its whistle and ringing its bells and I rushed to this elevated spot to be ready for the train to come across Broad one block down. Didn't see the train cross so I guessed it was another train going by on another route nearby.

A popular Broad Street bulletin stand.










There are a few sidewalk cafes that offer coffee with falling leaves for extra flavor.
There's usual an improvement project on Broad Street going on as they are in the process of restoring downtown.
A park right off Broad that is another chapter of pictures coming up. The Golf Hall of Fame is at the other end of the park next to the Savannah River levee.
And this is the town clock.







Here is our bank, one of the few really tall buildings.










Here I have parked my truck inside the Broad Street median. Notice how the divide lines are marked with embedded bricks.
When I saw these seats displayed in the window of the bar it blew my mind because these are the exact seats that were in the Monticello movie theater. Now I can see why more people go to the movies instead of the church. And they come with arm rests!

A view through the door of one of Augusta's many downtown bars.









It's so neat to see cops riding bikes around town.
I saw this through an antique store and it reminded me of our mother's set only that hers was round.

No comments: